The John Howard Society of Canada
809 Blackburn Mews
Kingston, ON K7P 2N6
The Ends of The John Howard Society of Canada oblige the Executive Director to contribute to the development of the JH network through:
- Increasing the capacity of JHS workers in the areas of skill, human and financial resources, coordination of effort and knowledge, standards and credibility.
- Increasing the sharing of knowledge and facilitating common initiatives.
Toward this End, JHSC negotiated a national insurance plan and created minimum standards and a system of certification to bring all societies together under a single set of operational expectations and risk management policies.
The ED also travels as invited to offices across Canada to advise on best practices in governance and to bring to front line workers and volunteer board members his best analysis of political trends and developments where criminal justice policy is concerned.
Every two years the JHSC organizes a National Staff Conference, in collaboration with Public Safety Canada, designed to bring together front line staff from every corner of the country to share ideas, problem solve, network and learn from each other. The JHSC also manages an email listserv for all JHS workers and board members and a Forum for sharing ideas and posing questions.
Every year the JHSC organizes an annual general meeting of Executive Directors from all provinces and territories along with volunteer board delegates. The AGM is intended to:
- Connect JHSC’s board of directors with its ownership.
- Give provincial EDs and board members a chance to meet and strategize around common objectives and projects.
- Bring provincial EDs the latest research on what works to reduce crime and re-offending.
- Share member concerns and aspirations with JHSC’s ED and board members.